It doesn't actually look that much different open than closed, since it only has one petal in the first place. But it opened! This is the first time I've ever verifiably not merely avoided killing a plant, but actually enabled its growth to continue progressing!
I have recently discovered something bad about this plant, though: It is toxic to cats. In fact, every plant in my entire apartment is toxic to cats; the only plant I have that isn't toxic to cats is the neanthe bella palm I keep at work. This is not good. I may have to move them all to the top of my tallest bookcases if I get a cat.