Gayle Madwin (queerbychoice) wrote,
Gayle Madwin
queerbychoice

  • Mood:
  • Music:

No on 8!

Yesterday, Yes on 8 reported receiving $2.2 million in donations during the latest filing period, while No on 8 reported receiving only $255,650 in donations. Prior to that, No on 8 had just about pulled even, but no more.

In the last poll, No on 8 was back to being slightly ahead of Yes on 8 (by more than the poll's margin of error), after several previous polls had showed Yes on 8 pulling ahead. But the lead for No on 8 won't last unless we can bring the donations relatively even with Yes on 8's donations.

That's why I just made another donation to No on 8.

Here's why you should donate to No on 8, even if you don't live in California:

California has 12% of the U.S. population. Massachusetts and Connecticut combined have 3% of the U.S. population. With a total of 15% of the U.S. population living in states where same-sex marriage is legal, we will have a vastly better chance of changing federal marriage laws as well than with only 3%.

If you live in a U.S. state where same-sex marriage is not yet legalized but there is no state constitutional amendment banning it, preserving same-sex marriage in California can help bring same-sex marriage to your state soon, too. A lawsuit could overturn your state's laws against it, just like a lawsuit overturned ours. The knowledge that 15% of the U.S. population already lives in states where same-sex marriage is legal could help make it seem less outlandish if your state ends up having a popular vote on it. Particularly if you live in Minnesota, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, or Vermont, there are already efforts underway to legalize same-sex marriage in your state, and keeping it legal in California could really help those efforts.

If you live in Massachusetts or Connecticut, where same-sex marriage is already legal, preserving same-sex marriage in California can help hasten the demise of the federal so-called "Defense of Marriage" Act, granting you all the federal rights of marriage.

If you live in a U.S. state that does have a state constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage, significant changes on the federal level still have the power to legalize same-sex marriage in your state, too. Preserving same-sex marriage in California will speed up those changes on the federal level.

Also, Hollywood has more power than any other city in the world to transmit its culture worldwide, and marriage laws in Hollywood are going to be determined by Proposition 8. So help us defeat Proposition 8, and we'll bring same-sex marriage to the whole world a little faster.

The deadline to donate is this Friday at midnight Pacific time. Please hurry! Go donate!
Subscribe
  • Post a new comment

    Error

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.
  • 12 comments